Friday, February 19, 2010

New Interview

When news broke that Hip-Hop's First Lady Faith Evans was readying new music and a reality show, the entertainment business was buzzing with excitement.

The former Sean "Puffy" Combs protégé, who released three CDs for Bad Boy Entertainment – 1995's 'Faith,' 1998's 'Keep the Faith' and 2001's 'Faithfully' – has not dropped a new album since her 2005 Capitol Records release, 'The First Lady.'

The Grammy winner admitted in an exclusive interview with BV Buzz that she never expected to be gone as long as she was.

"It's been five years," she told BV Buzz. "I didn't intend for it to be this long. It's not like I had a time in mind."

Evans, whose life with the late rapper Notorious B.I.G. was depicted in the blockbuster film 'Notorious,' said her role as a wife and mother took precedent to her recording career and was the main reason she had been out of the limelight.

"My career is a big part of my life, but it's not my life," she expressed. "I got four kids and that in itself alone was the main reason I took time off. I've had to take care of home and keep things in order there first before I could even consider doing music again. For me to be able to take the time to do this, I had to plant something with them. I couldn't give the attention to projects like this and not give them their attention and stay on top of things the way I needed to."

The 36-year-old talent acknowledges that a lot has changed in the music business over the half of decade she's been away, but the questionable state of the industry has not deterred a from making her return now.

"I don't feel apprehensive at all. There are a group of people out there, no matter how big or small that are waiting for my record. When people see me out at the baseball games and at the grocery stores, they inquire about my music and that makes me feel good. It lets me know that they're still waiting and that makes me excited. I work based on my heart and how people make me feel," she offered, before adding: "And I'm believing 100 percent that it will be well worth the wait."

In addition to her CD release later this year on E1 Entertainment, Evans struck a separate deal with E1 Television in partnership with Ten2One Entertainment for a reality show called 'It's All About Faith.'

"Faith is singer, author, mother, wife, and now an entrepreneur. The way she balances it all amazes me and I constantly call her Superwoman. I have been telling her for years that her life was worthy a reality show. I'm honored to be co-producing this show with her and E1 Entertainment," said Ten2One Entertainment partner Phil Thornton.

Evans, who recently participated in the remake of 'We Are The World,' shared that the deal she and husband/manager Todd Russaw struck with E1 Entertainment was an unconventional one.

"I met an executive for E1 when I taped my appearance on MTV's 'G's to Gents.' We had been talking about doing a deal on the music side. Then Phil introduced me to an executive from E1 Television, which is based out of Canada. She had read my memoir and knew my story and thought it would be good for a television show. So I ended up doing two separate deals with the same company. Now both the music and television departments are coming together to work with me," she explained.

The singer said her show will focus on more than her family life, it will also show her launching several business ventures and penning a follow-up to her New York Times bestselling tome, 'Keep the Faith: A Memoir.'

"I know people are interested in what my kids are doing, but the show isn't so much about following my family life," she said. "It will however show me being a businesswoman. I'm partnering with a good friend of mine, Richard Glass that has a high-end line of hair care products that are only now sold in the Venice Beach, Santa Monica and Malibu areas of California. We're working to take the brand national and get the line to the masses. It's a really amazing product. I've also got some other business ventures in the works. I'm also working on a new book, which is basically a guide book for songwriters and those who are new the music business. So the show will feature that, as well as me working on my music."

Before we wrapped our interview and Evans returned back to the booth to lay some vocals – she spoke to BV Buzz from her recording studio in Los Angeles – the singer confessed that it feels good to be back in work mode again.

"I've transitioned and it feels great! Sometimes you got to do things that make sense in the bigger picture for you, even though the fans and the public may not always understand," she closed.

Evans forthcoming CD will be released on her own imprint, Prolific Music Group via E1 Music later this year.

E1 Television is currently negotiating with various networks for her series, 'It's All About Faith.'

No comments:

Post a Comment